Types of Trauma
Types of Trauma-There are many types of trauma that require different approaches. Traumatic experiences include but are not limited to the following:
- Physical attacks such as domestic violence
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Medical trauma due to surgeries, illness or physical pain
- Attachment or Developmental Trauma like extreme early life chaos, parental divorce, conflicting households, childhood sexual or physical abuse, childhood neglect, death of a parent or grandparent
- Consequences of war experiences
- Traumatic loss of a loved one
- Threatened or witnessing death
- Verbal trauma, like being told a person has cancer
Symptoms of Trauma - When these or other traumas occur and are treated within six months they are considered to be acute stress disorders. When these events continue for over six months and as long as twenty, thirty or more years they are classified as posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Symptoms include avoidance of talking about it or even thinking about it, hypervigilance, sleep disturbance, flashbacks of these traumas, anger, increased negative thinking, nightmares, becoming emotionally shut off, etc.
New Trauma Treatment-Treatment of trauma by ETT® produces rapid resolution. However, when there are multiple, cumulative traumas treatment will likely take longer.